Dragon Age: Origins

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
You don't need an internet connection to play Dragon Age: Origins THANK YOU BABY JESUS.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
IN HIS BABY JESUS MANGER WATCHING LITTLE EINSTEINS

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Spent the afternoon playing through the first bit, it's really cool. It is going to take me awhile to get used to combat, and making my character go where I want her to go, lol.

Tisiphone

Remember, Cassie, you're the boss!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I keep running into things or getting excited and getting completely turned around OR accidentally switching characters in the middle of a battle and wondering WTF? for a split second. Fortunately the game has pretty good AI, so you don't die so easy when you mess up. I'm thinking this game might be a little easier on a console, because moving the characters around without a joy stick is weird. Also, it's taking me forever to get it into my head that I don't actually have to keep clicking the mouse to make the characters fight. You just tell the characters what to do and they go do it, and if you don't tell them what to do the AI takes over and they go fight the enemies without you! Of course if you let the AI do it, then you could die or be seriously injured because it's not going to use the best strategy.

This game has the best voice acting, and the best lines EVAR. I love Alistair and I think I'm going to have teh sex with him eventually. If he doesn't die, or leave my party.

Tisiphone

I was in love with an Alastair, once. He was on "You Can't Do That On Television."

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
You just tell the characters what to do and they go do it, and if you don't tell them what to do the AI takes over and they go fight the enemies without you! Of course if you let the AI do it, then you could die or be seriously injured because it's not going to use the best strategy.

You can set individual AI strategies for all your party members so they behave exactly the way you want them to at all times. It's extremely intricate. You can even set spell combinations to be cast on certain triggers.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a tip: Dual wielding rogues with enchanted and poisoned blades coupled with high dexterity and dual weapon efficiency are total ownage in Dragon Age.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'm going to have to study that shit some more. Also, I think the reason I'm running into things is because I'm using "w" to move forward but relying on the wrong buttons to turn, I should be using 'q' and "e" instead of 'a" and "d". I DONT' KNOW.

I'm about to light the tower thingy, and now I've got this weak mage I'm sure will end up dead if I don't figure out how to use him properly :rwmad: I'm sure all this will start to seem easy as I figure out how it all works.

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Your primary job as a mage is to heal your party; learn the basic healing spell if you haven't already.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh, I'm not a mage, I just picked up a mage on my way to the tower. I don't see any healing spells in his skills list, but maybe I'm just not looking properly. It's all really confusing, because I don't really understand how to activate someone's skills yet. I was trying to change my characters skill yesterday and it seems like it disappeared.

Marquis De Sade

I came for the spankings
Is it better than Oblivion ?

Marquis De Sade

I came for the spankings
Morowind>Oblivion>Fallout III>DAO

I've yet to see a single convincing argument for DAO's supposed greatness.

I only found Oblivion superior to Fallout 3 because of my bias towards medieval fantasy rather than science fiction. Otherwise I wouldn't say that Oblivion is really > to Fallout 3.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I haven't played Fallout so I can't compare it!

I have played Oblivion and Morrowind and I liked them very much. What I like more about them is that it's easier to get around and easier to figure out the battle system. What I like more about Dragon Age is that it is visually beautiful, even more than Oblivion, plus the voice acting and the dialogue are extremely well done. Also, Dragon Age's story (so far) is really interesting. You feel like there's a deep history behind the game right from the start. The confusing battle system is the biggest minus, imo. I know that most games have a learning curve and as you go along things begin to become second nature, but usually I learn these things a little faster. This makes me worry that the game will become frustratingly difficult later on.

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Also, Dragon Age's story (so far) is really interesting. You feel like there's a deep history behind the game right from the start.
It's rather superficial. "Big orcish horde rises up lead by an archdemonic dragon, unite the races one at a time, slay." Some of the codexes were entertaining, but the game's 'deep history' is a wading pool compared to TES' gulf.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Well, most fantasy has the same type of story. I just think Dragon Age does it well. Maybe it's the feeling of being immersed in the story that I like.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, yo.

Seph

Retired Account
qany indeph game i get emersed in, if i can tinker in game i can tinker all year,

current games im playin/hooked on baldurs gate II/oblivion/morrowind/fallout3/ff8again...again.../ff12