DREAM THREAD Part Pi.Pi!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
That's a lot to remember for one night!

Mirah

I love you
Yeah, I cannot remember all of my dreams like that from the last week.

But I do remember that in my dream last night there was an Avril Lavigne party where everyone was dressed up just like Avril, and I arrived late so I had to hurry back to my room to change and put on makeup on my eyes but by the time I decided what to wear everyone was already coming hom.

CaptainWacky

That sounds like a great party! (Apart from them going home early.)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
That's a lot to remember for one night!
Ironically, they're all in the last hour or two of sleep. I credit it to needing lost of sleep because I'm old as fuck but doing a young man's job and having a dog that wants to go out around 6:30. As I understand the sleep cycle, the later you sleep, the more you dream all the good dreaming happens late, and being woken up soon after gives me a chance to remember the freaky dreams.

CaptainWacky

I had a dream where I thought a woman I murdered in Skyrim was a woman I murdered in real life. Had to tell myself it wasn't real when I woke up.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Not terribly exciting dreams this morning. And fairly understandable, but opaque enough that I'm tempted to run them past a person who specializes in these things:

I'm at some kind of convention. I've been bussed to some hotel (possibly in Vegas) and we have to go to all these seminars with theoretical free time, but practically, not, because there's no transportation. We get out and go to the hotel restaurant for dinner but I'm just slow enough that they've already started taking orders by the time I get to my seat and no matter what I do, I can't find a server to take my order. Eventually I decide to just trudge to the nearest restaurant but realize I left my shoes and have to go back. On the way back, I knock over a Seussian-sized parfait glass with an equally long straw in it and wind up obligated to apologize to the family at that table, who commiserates about the service.

Turns out I left my shoes, my socks, a satchel, and before I know it, I can't leave because I'm naked. And it turns out I was wearing an undershirt, a couple polos, a turtleneck, a sportcoat... So I'm trying to triage the clothes because it's clearly absurd to be wearing all of it. That's about where that dream ends.

Next dream is much shorter but of a similar theme. I go to some outdoor vendor for a cup of coffee. I'm next in line. She's in the middle of printing off about a 30' receipt. When she finishes she tells the guy he gets to pick the 70 flavors he wants in his coffee. He may have also ordered coffees for his entire office. The dream wasn't clear on that.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. Some kind of weird James Bond thing that, being a dream, morphed at least 3 times. I'd apparently developed some thing but some rich powerful nemesis had stolen credit for it. I had to sneak into his mansion and steal it back but I got caught and he was going to kill me. I was pretty much resigned to this, but when his henchmen got back they had, like, a knife, a hammer and nails, and a 22 caliber pistol. I was like "couldn't you find something a little more humane?" and they were like "sorry, no." (I guess Dicks doesn't carry deadly guns anymore.) So I decided screw that and when they weren't looking I ran away. I ducked down a stairwell in the hospital (the thing was like a cure for ebola or something like that) and hid in an abandoned broom closet under the stairs, next to a copy machine. Happily someone noticed the trash can was out in the walkway and put it back in front of the door so they wouldn't find me. But it was a tiny closet and eventually I got bored.

Next thing I know, they've got me again and they're going to hang me from some kind of mast/scaffold. But first they're going to hang this stripper who was helping me. Luckily she had pretty strong legs and as long as she could maintain this awkward position on the apparatus she wouldn't get hung. So my friends come with a cherry-picker truck and some other stuff to save me and we're all celebrating when I remember the stripper and go climb up the ladder and rescue her. I decide since she's already topless I might as well take her bikini bottom off too. And that's about when I wake up. :/

CaptainWacky

I had a dream Jimmy Savile came back and I was the only one who remembered the truth.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh man, I had a doozy this morning. But I didn't write it down and now I've lost 98% of it. Just now I did remember a particularly horrifying bit of it: My Mom died of cancer some years back but for some reason in most of my dreams she's just fine. In this one, she was dying of cancer and I was helping my Dad take care of her.

Now here's the punchline: My Dad died of cancer 10 years before my Mom. And he'd basically stayed neatly dead until my Mom died. Now there's all kinds of dead people running around alive in my dreams. I think even my favorite Aunt is alive in the dreams now.

CaptainWacky

The worst is the minute or so when you're still waking up and you think the person is still alive.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I haven't lived near my family for over 20 years, so I only go home to visit, so it's even more surreal because the dreams feel like a visit and then I wake up and I'm back in my house 12 hours away. To make matters worse, because of my brother (long story) I wasn't able to sell the house. Now he lives there. Anyway, I have to go: Hold on, I've got money I didn't have and the nick-nack rack from the bathroom is in my kitchen. And I've got a big folder of paperwork that says that can't have happened.

Love Child

One Love
I had a dream where I thought a woman I murdered in Skyrim was a woman I murdered in real life. Had to tell myself it wasn't real when I woke up.

Sometimes I like those edgy dreams. Othertimes I don't!

I had a dream Jimmy Savile came back and I was the only one who remembered the truth.

Speak the Truth CaptainWacky!

The worst is the minute or so when you're still waking up and you think the person is still alive.

That woud feel disturbing to me.

CaptainWacky

I had a dream where Optimus Prime had been captured by Decepticons near where I live and Rodimus Prime told me I had to get him back. For some reason I decided violent dogs were the way to go so I got some woman to bring me attack dogs. But then the woman went away and left me to look after the dogs. I was in Ten Forward on the Enterprise-D now by the way. One of the dogs jumped on me but I just lay down and the dog lay on top of me and I thought it wasn't too bad. Then Keiko O'Brien came in and the dogs started to attack her and she told me I had to help defend her and Molly. She shot three of the dogs with a phaser and threw it to me. I had to shoot the fourth but it was under the table I was now standing on and I missed first time and she was annoyed but then I saw it. Captain Picard/Optimus Prime (not sure which) came in and I took credit for stunning all the dogs. Keiko told them it wans't true (bitch.) Picard/Optimus told me he was safe now and I could go home. I walked home (I was back near my house now) and there were some kids playing football. One of them only had one arm. The ball came over to me and I kicked it back to them and it hit the one-armed boy right on his arm stub. He didn't seem to care though.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
Nearly a year ago, I had a dream where I was watching a magic show. Specifically, the magician was going to do the "saw a person in half" trick. Only, when the curtains opened, it was revealed that the magician was really a skeleton. A skeleton who, while performing his act, decided that instead of looking at what he was doing, he was going to face the audience and sing. "All Star" by Smash Mouth, to be precise. In the original singer's voice.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This reminds me of a couple recent ones. More recent and mundane first. I work loading truck trailers for a shipping company. Technically I'm a supervisor, but I spend more time loading than I should. To the point where my old body can't repair itself fast enough from the wear and tear of all the hard work. This is relevant because early last night I dreamed there was a new class of package and me and my dog were loading them on trailers while I was trying to sleep. I mean, I was in my bed and the lights were off and The Dog (who was really laying on the floor next to the bed for some reason) were just chilling but then a big damn package would show up and one of us would have to add it to the stack in the trailer. By the morning I'd gotten enough sleep over the weekend that my elbows didn't hurt. That lasted until about 4 hours into the shift tonight.

The other dream was kind of "Ender's Game" if it had been directed by Joss Whedon. I was in some kind of focus group of really bright people, but there was this one tween girl that was just off the charts. She made a pi chart of something that combined being a functional chart with some very clever math (that I didn't understand, but since it was a dream, it was obviously just made up by my subconscious) and worked as one of them Google doodle things. The group facilitator explained how important the girl was and how she was going to save us all.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I can't get away from my pets even in sleep. I work 2nd shift so I'm able to take a nap after lunch. More importantly, this means The Cat gets to sit on my chest and snuggle for, oh, 8 minutes or so. Then I get around 22 minutes of napping if I'm lucky. Well the other day I was startled awake by a dream of The Dog, carrying a duck she'd murdered, down the nearby streambed. Most of the time it's harmless for her to chase ducks and they fly away but this time of year the ducklings can't fly yet. Also, the mama duck won't fly, she'll act wounded in an effort to lure predators away from the flock. The Dog has gotten disturbingly close to catching a mama duck doing this IRL, hence the dream.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. This is very odd. Almost odd enough to talk to someone who studies dreams about it. I had a dream years ago--don't remember how long ago, only remembered it when I had this one--I'm in a strange town (on a vacation or something) that happens to have a lot of strip clubs. Naturally I decide to check out a couple. At least one, it's more of a burlesque show--there's a whole program and a large cast and acts and stuff--and they also have a male revue portion that, for whatever reason, the producer decides to hire me for. I think that was in the old version too. It was definitely in this version.

So it's daytime and they producer, who is some vaguely defined older white woman is going over the acts and what is going to happen and when. She's thinking, since the guys haven't worked together before and there's one number where they're all on stage together, that she can use this dance that is like the Australian (or wherever she's from) version of the macarena and wants to know if I'm familiar with it. Obviously I'm not.

I'm concerned that there's no money in male stripping but she assures me there is. I also point out (in this version) that I'm in town with family and should probably get away and do some things with them but she says she needs me. Then she shows me photos (video?) of an older show she did with a black dancer who apparently is Sammy Davis Jr and pretty soon I'm hanging out with the Rat Pack, talking about Sammy's days as a male stripper, which apparently was just a cover for his work as a special forces/CIA-type hit man and someone trotted out a clipping about a bunch of shady people (Nazis? Poachers? It isn't clear) who got killed one night by a guy in a loincloth with a kind of cowhide shield thing.

That's around when I woke up.

CaptainWacky

I like it when locations from previous dreams come back up again and I can remember where to go because I've been there before, even though it's nowhere I've been in real life.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Concur. I have that often (although less so, it seems). More on that in a bit. This was new though--same dream, but with additional details.

But yeah. Dream locations. That's trippy. Places that *know* are real, I'm so familiar with them, but I *also* know don't actually exist. I've got a half dozen or so--maybe more. My most vibrant and easy to explain is up in Superior Wisconsin. Superior is kind of a triangle, with the Lake along one side and a river running down the other. There's a suburb to the southwest (called the township of Superior, IIRC) and one in the southeast called Allouez. And a road connecting them with not a lot else on it. BUT! In my dreams...

There's an old farm that has been turned into a kind of antique store/flea market. You go there and go into the barn to rummage through bins of old vinyl records and glassware and other stuff. I know my way around the place. I know the retired couple that run it. I know where the best place to park is. I know their dog. And I've found some pretty neat stuff there. But only in my dreams.

CaptainWacky

I had a dream where I wrote a story (possibly a post on a message board) and there were some lines in it a girl wanted to use in a song. I wasn't happy that she wanted to change the lines slightly and went to the recording studio to tell her, but when I heard her sing I realised it was good and let her have the lyrics. Later I "woke up" (I was still dreaming) and went to the toilet and heard my song playing on the radio and was proud of how good it was. The thing is, in the dream the song really was good and the lyrics were really good and I wish I could remember them so I could sell them to someone.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Dream logic. There weren't actually lyrics, for all you know (I suspect), your brain just made up a story that there were great lyrics to make the dream work--like the math/PowerPoint Pi Chart in the dream I may or may not have mentioned upthread.

Yep. The trippy dreams--or at least the ones I remember--come in the window of early morning, after I can't sleep but I force myself to go back to sleep. Or maybe those are the only ones I can remember, because the gap between conscious and unconscious is so narrow. I didn't share the last one I still remember because it was so odd and disturbing, but since I'm here...

Some transexual hookers were in town. I don't know if there was a convention or something, but they all got a room together. I(?) was disguised as the 2nd Doctor to infiltrate them for...reasons? Things happened. There was conflict. Then there was a zombie outbreak and Zombie 1st Doctor came and I had to...fight? him. But I don't think it was really a zombie First Doctor, I think it was that someone had found some long lost footage of makeup for a zombie 1st Doctor. Or maybe both.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Double. Buggy fucking board. Unfuck this shit, Eggs.