Gardening edition of the diary thread

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It's hard out here for a pimp AND his hoes.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
JUNE 23, 2011

The sunflowers have flowers now! The plants are about 12 feet tall!

I have TEN TONS (a shit ton) of eggplant. I'm never planting more than one eggplant PLANT again. NEVER. I think the crookneck squash are about done, it's getting too hot for them, and the cucumbers have been done for a couple weeks now. I think the buttercup squash are actually aliens from OUTER SPACE, they took over the side of the garden I planted them on, they've smothered some of the zippers, AND they're reaching into the okra. ALSO, I am officially SICK of okra. I've picked about 2 bushels of black-eyed peas this week, I'll never get sick of fresh peas, they are yum. I need to pick the pole beans again, but it's too hot out there, maybe later tonight or in the morning. SPECIAL NOTE FOR DR DAVE - the onions are ALIVE, probably won't be full sized for another month.

CASSIE'S LESSON FOR THE DAY:

When you're using a steak knife to cut eggplants, don't squeal and flail your arms about when the bumblebees come after you.

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Thanks for the ONION UPDATE!

I'm glad to hear THE ONIONS are doing well.

Do you plan anything special for the onions?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
June 9th 2014 garden update:

I planted nearly the entire garden in zipper peas this year. I picked a 5 gallon bucket of them yesterday, and got about 4qts of peas to put in the freezer. The zippers still have lots of peas on them, and will be ready to pick again in a few days. I think I might die from picking fucking peas this year.

My tomatoes did alright, but not as good as previous years. I have some lovely yellow boy tomatoes, and a few black prince tomatoes, but the rains have really been coming down in buckets, it's super humid, and super hot... tomatoes don't like that shit.

I grew watermelons this year. Never even tried before! They are doing really good, there are probably 15 big fat watermelons out there. I don't know how to tell when they're ready.

My okra and squash didn't do well at all. I think I planted the okra too soon and the squash too late.

OH and I had one garden surprise... well actually worm bed surprise. Yesterday I did a lot of yard work, cleared out some weedy shit and tree limbs and discovered a huge hot pepper plant growing in the worm bed that I never even knew was there. I have no idea how it got there since the worm bed is in a far corner of the yard away from the garden and everything and we abandoned it after a tree fell on it. The pepper plant is loaded with peppers and I'm going to make some hot pepper sauce today (in the South this is what we call pickled hot peppers, and we use the juice on greens and peas and stuff to make it spicy)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Cassie one of my animals in Animal Crossing (a cute girl pig) was ill so I bought her medecine and the next day she was feeling better and sent me a t-shirt in the mail to say thanks and it reminded me of how you'd been ill recently. I know this has nothing to do with gardening but I didn't know where else to post it.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
MAYBE I SENT YOU THE SHIRT!

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
things are growing madly here to make up for the shite winter and non-spring, but it means that things that usually bloom first (quince) are blooming the same time as tulips and peonies and it's just crazy! I will have to go and weed all the grass that got into my perennial beds.
p.s. I hate gout weed. die, gout weed! that is all.
oh, and I flavoured my scrambled eggs with chives from the garden.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
(I'm not saying Cassie's a pig though.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OINK OINK

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
GUYS, WE HAVE TO KILL MANBEARPIG BEFORE HE EATS EVERYTHING IN THE GARDEN! I'M TOTALLY SERIAL!