Let's talk about Star Trek, Deep Space Nine (9)

SAUSAGEMAN

Yesterday, Duet.

"Oh, I think this is the first good episode we've seen."
"Yeah, DS9 is actually a good series!"

Later tonight, double the bitches, double the pleasure. Vedek Winn and Keiko O'Brien star in In the Hands of the Prophets.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I love a good Bajoran power struggle. (I'm in the minority here, but I don't care)

Very good season finale, sets up a lot of good stuff to come.

SAUSAGEMAN

Up to season 2, episode 8. Necessary Evil.

So far, S2 is so much better than S1 it's almost unbelievable. There've only been one Forehead of the Week episode so far, plus one Ferengi episode, and every single one of the others has been dealing with the core of who the characters are and what the world they live is is like. I really enjoyed the final scene in Necessary Evil, where Odo confronts Kira about her murdering the collaborator five years earlier, and how she's been lying to him all these years. It felt like two people with a strained relationship who were trying to work through it, and I can't imagine any two characters from any other Trek series having a similar dynamic.

God I love DS9.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Bashire was meant to be annoying, and then slowly mellow over the years thanks to his relationship with Miles.

Its called character development.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
His acting being shit in the first season didn't help (he got better.)

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Siddig made Robert Beltran look like Lawrence Oliver in the first couple of seasons. He improved dramatically after that. Probably helped that he had such great actors to work with.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Also he started getting laid (I mean fell in love with Nana).

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
From what I've always heard it was a bit like Wesley v2.0, except they caught on early that fans hated him, so they changed him into the Bashir we all like to remember.

I suppose you could retcon it by saying that his genetic modifications made his personality fluctuate occasionally.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Except his worst acting had to come from when he was possessed by Rao Vantika in The Passenger. It was gloriously bad.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
If they hadn't mined the Bashir/O'Brien friendship in the early seasons, Bashir might have been Beverly'd right off the show.

SISKO TO PULASKI!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Except his worst acting had to come from when he was possessed by Rao Vantika in The Passenger. It was gloriously bad.

Damn it Menty, I had that episode buried away and forgotten for the best part of two decades.

Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in!

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Bashire was meant to be annoying, and then slowly mellow over the years thanks to his relationship with Miles.

Its called character development.

Yeah I think you're giving them far too much credit.

I don't think that had such a plan with Bashire.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
TALIA SHIRE'S ALPACA!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
She could have said something racist to Tosk.