Let's talk about Star Trek, Deep Space Nine (9)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
And before all that, having his wife turn into a 10 year old girl who still expected him to sleep with her.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
And having his old captain of the USS Hyacinth Bucket turn out to be an unhinged racist (although he did kind of turn out to be vindicated when the Cardassians became the aggressors in the largest ever war we know of in Trek's depiction of the Milky Way galaxy).

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
She was cheating on O'Brien with Bajorans all the fucking time.

SAUSAGEMAN

STUPENDOUS INNOVATIONS that greatly enhance the experience of watching Star Trek:
-Make "piro beep biro pirou beep beep pirou" sounds whenever a tricorder is being used
-Whenever a character starts spouting technobabble, talk over him with your own! (this is harder than the first one - pros only!!!!)

SAUSAGEMAN

So, now up to Blaze of Glory.

Is it possible to come away from For the Uniform and Blaze of Glory and not unambiguously be on Team Eddington? Sisko's a fucking war criminal who is obsessed with wiping out the Maquis, and Eddington is just this guy who is fighting for what he thinks is right. Eddington brings up concrete examples of slaughter and oppression of his people, and all Sisko can offer up is abstract concepts of honour and loyalty to the uniform.

Team Eddington!

CaptainWacky

Eddington was a bit smug. I HATE THAT.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I remember being on the fence about who was 'more wrong' when I first saw this arc. I have them queued up to watch again today to see how I feel now, because I forget the particulars other than the heavy-handed Valjean/Javert references and that goddam holographic communicator, which the writers admitted in the DS9 Companion was a cheap device in order to get Sisko and Eddington "face to face" for more dramatic impact.

SAUSAGEMAN

Eddington was smug, but he didn't that self-righteous "he BeTRAYed his UNIFORM!" Tourette's that Sisko had.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Yeah, there are times when Avery's overacting comes in handy, like in Far Beyond the Stars, and there are times when it just sinks all boats, like with this arc.

But again, I have to rewatch these eps, and the Met game just started. OPENING DAY NEXT WEEK BITCHEZ!!1

whisky

Boobie inspector
At the time I remember feeling that Sisko's very sudden hatred of Eddington came from nowhere.

The same nowhere that Eddington's apparent fascination with Javert.

The whole thing would have had a lot more resonance and consequences if the leader of the Marquis was Ro Laren, and Picard had guest starred.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I loved the way he span round quickly and spoke to a viewing screen before turning back slowly and facing the poorly behaved subordinate.

CaptainWacky

Did he say "Is that clear MISTER EDDINGTON?" a lot or is that just a fasle memory I have.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
He said it all the time when Eddington still wore THE! UNIFORM!

SAUSAGEMAN

Update time! So we're about halfway through S6 of DS9, but TNG is now on canadian Netflix so the roomy and I have been watching that. I acquired a list of episodes in Season 1 to watch from a shadowy clique and:
-At some point during "Coming of Age", Wesley hides out in the holodeck to masturbate and Worf joins him or something. My roommate asked "Why is he in the Dreamatorium?"
-During "Conspiracy", the third episode we watched: "Data's a robot??"

It's absolutely amazing to me how little Trek culture has seeped into him!