Let's talk about Star Trek, Deep Space Nine (9)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

SAUSAGEMAN

2957.imgcache.jpg

Season 2 done! My roommate was very excited and asked "are the Dominion going to go to war against the Federation? Meanwhile, I'm disturbed by the revelation in The Collaborator that Bajor is, in fact, a theocracy, with ultimate power resting in the hands of the Kai and the vedeks. That can't look good on their Federation application form.

CaptainWacky

Watch out for Gowron's crazy eyes in House Of Quark.

CaptainWacky

SPOILER! (yes that's the one)

SAUSAGEMAN

Most depressing moment of Season 2:

In Tribunal, there's a moment in which Odo asks to see the evidence against O'Brien. The Cardassians refuse, citing "national security reasons". They don't even talk about the nature of the evidence, or how it's collected. It's meant to be a caricatural travesty of justice.

It's also standard operating procedure in the United States of America in 2011.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Yup. Years before 9/11, DS9 spent a good deal of airtime discussing the nature of terrorism and how a supposedly free society reacts to it. They were even able to discuss the issue from the perspective of the terrorists, and make many of them seem sympathetic.

If DS9 were remade today, they wouldn't be able to call Kira a former terrorist. The Bajorans will have fought back the Cardassians by forming a Tea Party/Occupy movement.

SAUSAGEMAN

Yes, they said that in that episode.

Again, very similar to american justice - if any of the Guantanamo inmates is found "not guilty" in their trials, the US still reserves the right to detain them indefinitely.

CaptainWacky

I remember an unpleasant scene with O'Brien's teeth being pulled out.

CaptainWacky

I remember an unpleasant scene with O'Brien's tooth being pulled out.

CaptainWacky

Yes, they literally called it the "torture O'Brien" episode.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
So there was Tribunal, and there was the one where he lived a lifetime in prison and there was that one where he had a dimensional shifty timey whiney armband, where one version of him died, and there were all the ones where Cakehole O'Brien wore the trousers in the marriage despite the fact that she was a primary school teacher and he was a genius engineer responsible for a starship, a massive station and a fleet of runabouts, and then on his downtime he was patronised by his best friend, who pretended to be crap at darts and whined about a 400 year old androgynous alien not fancying him.

CaptainWacky

And Tosk!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Plus loosing his little girl and getting a 20 year old savage in her place, and him thinking Riker hated him.