Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost season 6 FINAL CHAPTER

According to the writers, the show was never about the Island. The show was about the characters. The title wasn't meant to mean that they're lost on an island. It was meant to say that the characters were lost in their lives. Jacob even touched on that point when he finally confronted the last Candidates. They also stated that they didn't want to write the same drivel that was on TV, where they explained everything to the audience. They wanted a lot of it to be left up to the viewer to explain via imagination.

Didn't anyone else watch the series finale synopsis that aired before the final episode?

According to the writers, the show was never about the Island. The show was about the characters. The title wasn't meant to mean that they're lost on an island. It was meant to say that the characters were lost in their lives. Jacob even touched on that point when he finally confronted the last Candidates. They also stated that they didn't want to write the same drivel that was on TV, where they explained everything to the audience. They wanted a lot of it to be left up to the viewer to explain via imagination.

Didn't anyone else watch the series finale synopsis that aired before the final episode?

Soviet revisionism at its finest, Stalin would be proud.

The writers only decided this at the last possible moment when they realized they had no idea what the fuck was going on. Ron Moore said almost the same thing for BSG.

Try squaring that statement with their previous insistence that they had planned everything out from the beginning. I guess they really meant they planned all the soap opera elements out but were pulling the mythology out of their ass (impressive work anyways, characters start out with flaws then learn to come to terms with and overcome those flaws over the span of the series, that outline must have taken up a decent sized pile of napkins).

I also seem to remember the tagline for season 2 being "Everything happens for a reason". Reasons the writers were ignorant of apparently.

Lets not forget that for the longest time the island itself was portrayed as a character with its own motivations and objectives. It is only recently that it turned into a magic rock. So they completely dropped the ball on one of the most important characters of the show by not providing any sort of answer or insight into What The Island Is.

No, the show was pretty much 100% always about the characters from the start.

Which is why every character got thier own flashback telling us about the character and their motivations in every single episode.

Yes and the other half of every episode was island mystery bullshit. Did everyone suddenly forget that this show took place on a mysterious island? Because most of the comments I've read about the finale make it seem like Lost was really just a show about people running into each other in Sydney and LA.

'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images

May 25, 2010 | 3:09 pm

You know those Oceanic 815 plane crash images that ran after Jack's (Matthew Fox) eye closed and the "Lost" logo appeared on our TV screens? Some "Lost" fans and TV critics have wondered if they were a last Easter egg from the producers, a clue meant to lead us to conclude that no one survived Oceanic 815's crash landing — and therefore everything we've seen over the last six years never really happened.

Well, ABC wants to clear the air: Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show.

"The images shown during the end credits of the 'Lost' finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news," an ABC spokesperson wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

That means, Losties, that we were not supposed to think that Christian Shepherd (John Terry) is a liar. What Christian told his son, when they were reunited at the church, should serve as guidance for our interpretation of the series' ending.

So let's review: Christian told Jack that he was dead and everyone else in the church was too — some had died before Jack, as we already knew, and some died long after. The sideways flashes then were a step in everyone's after-lives, a way to reconnect before moving on permanently. While there still may be unanswered questions related to that religious and spiritual conclusion to the "Lost" story, the photographs were really just a nostalgic, transitional touch added by ABC executives — and not executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

Love or hate it, that's the final answer.

— Maria Elena Fernandez
Obviously they are lying, trying to keep us from rewatching every episode ten times to find the secret meaning to showing the wreckage at the end. COMMENCE REWATCH!

Yes and the other half of every episode was island mystery bullshit. Did everyone suddenly forget that this show took place on a mysterious island? Because most of the comments I've read about the finale make it seem like Lost was really just a show about people running into each other in Sydney and LA.

Yes, one half was "what did the characters do in the past?" and one half was "and what are the characters doing now?", the latter half is where they also had all the island stuff, but you're saying that half of a show would be character, and another half just pure ISLAND ISLAND ISLAND ISLAND which is just wrong.

I don't know why anyone would have thought images of the original 815 crash over the closing credits AFTER the show had ended ("LOST" had already come up on screen) would have meant they all died in the original plane crash (especially since we were specifically told in the episode that everything really happened.)

As far as the character thing goes, Further you've obviously already made your mind up about hating Lost and you're never going to let yourself think anything positive about it. The early seasons were much more in line with the "it's about characters and how they react to weird shit on the island" argument. It was only from season four onwards that I started to get annoyed because it became too much about the plot and the characters much of the time just became pawns being moved about by the plot. If it had been that way from the beginning I would have agreed with you. But the finale episode was more inline with the early seasons, putting the characters first.

I don't know why anyone would have thought images of the original 815 crash over the closing credits AFTER the show had ended ("LOST" had already come up on screen) would have meant they all died in the original plane crash (especially since we were specifically told in the episode that everything really happened.)

Well the fact those scenes came immediatly after Jack chose to lay down and die in the exact spot he woke up in the pilot episode, and the fact that we only have the word of someone who could easily have been a figment of his imagination that everything was real.

I don't know why people are pissed off about the end of the series if they enjoyed the show all along.. if they didn't enjoy the show all along then I don't know why they watched it. Sure there was one kinda bad season, and a few bad episodes, but the show was fun to watch most of the time.

I never expected them to explain every mysterious thing, and for the most part I think the most important mysteries were explained. Jacob explained what the island is, it is a cork that keeps the evil from escaping into the rest of the world. He didn't say how it works, but I don't care how it works.

Yes, one half was "what did the characters do in the past?" and one half was "and what are the characters doing now?", the latter half is where they also had all the island stuff, but you're saying that half of a show would be character, and another half just pure ISLAND ISLAND ISLAND ISLAND which is just wrong.

"What the characters are doing now" was dealing with and reacting to mysterious island shit. In the beginning of the show there was a lot more pure character stuff on the island but as time went on the island plot became much more prominent, especially in the later seasons where the characters were often used as pawns for plot advancement. Thus character and plot on Lost are inexorably linked.

Besides if the plot was irrelevant then the show should have been episodic like TNG with the island used as an excuse for the "spatial anomaly of the week".

As far as the character thing goes, Further you've obviously already made your mind up about hating Lost and you're never going to let yourself think anything positive about it. The early seasons were much more in line with the "it's about characters and how they react to weird shit on the island" argument. It was only from season four onwards that I started to get annoyed because it became too much about the plot and the characters much of the time just became pawns being moved about by the plot. If it had been that way from the beginning I would have agreed with you. But the finale episode was more inline with the early seasons, putting the characters first.

My favorite season of Lost is by far its first. It was grounded and for the most part plausible. The mysteries were there but they were not yet overwhelming.

But they were there, from the start. Whatever proportions of the show you believe were plot and character, they were both important aspects overall.

I get that if you liked a shows characters, it is easier to forgive plot flaws. But I do not get this need to excuse the writers for giving up on the plot at the last second and pretending it was never that important. Believing the shows mythology was BS does not preclude you from liking it. If you enjoyed the mythology and thought it was concluded well then make that argument. But don't tell me it was never important in the first place. It was.

Wacky, I think the only point we disagree on is how well the character arcs were wrapped up in the finale. If I enjoyed that aspect of the episode then it would have fared much better in my mind overall.

My thoughts on the shows characters and plot as a whole is a bit different from the finale.

"What the characters are doing now" was dealing with and reacting to mysterious island shit. In the beginning of the show there was a lot more pure character stuff on the island but as time went on the island plot became much more prominent, especially in the later seasons where the characters were often used as pawns for plot advancement. Thus character and plot on Lost are inexorably linked.

Besides if the plot was irrelevant then the show should have been episodic like TNG with the island used as an excuse for the "spatial anomaly of the week".

The island plot was never irrelevant it just wasn't the main focus of the show, and as such it didn't need useless answers for questions the majority of the audience didn't care about.

What I meant, Further, is that I think the mythology stuff introduced in the earlier seasons WAS answered in a satisfactory manner. Why did the plane crash? Desmond failed to push the button. What is the Monster? It's a sentient cloud of black smoke that was once human. What's in the hatch? A station manned by a Scotsman who says "brother" a lot. Who is Henry Gale? He's really Benjamin Linus, leader of the Others. Does anything actually happen if you don't press the button every 108 minutes? Yes. AND SO ON.

Obviously there's exceptions like why the Others just suddenly let Walt go after being to interested in him for two seasons.

It was in the later seasons that they just started asking more and more questions which they didn't intened to answer that I got annoyed, like they couldn't tell the story of Lost without piling on more and more mythology that ultimately wasn't needed. Like all that stuff this seasno with Sayid coming back from the dead evil (except he wasn't), that Japanese guy refusing to speak English (except he could) then trying to trick Jack into giving Sayid a pill beause he couldn't kill him himself (except he tried to kill him one episode later.) What WAS the point of all that other than dragging out the story?

And they should have explained what would actually happen if the Smoke Monster left the island, becasue I'm pretty sure they never did and we were just supposed to think it would destroy the world somehow (but wasn't it taking the cork out of the light that would destroy the world, and the Smoke Monster wasn't even planning on doing that until Widmore brought Desmond to the island.)

But none of this spoiled the show for me because it still ended up giving the characters satisfying resolutions and Kate was still hot.

I wonder why Sawyer imagined himself as a cop!

I've given this question some thought. I think I have an answer. See, Sawyer was always out for justice/revenge for the death of his parents. When he got tossed back into the 1970's, revenge was no longer an option. So, he joined the Dharma Initiative and became their version of a cop. This leads me to believe that when he finally escaped the Island, he might have turned his life around and became a cop in real life.

Now, this is only speculation, but it is sound reasoning.