Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 100 genre tv characters discussion thread

I'd rather we didn't take the number out personally. I like the idea of having a definitive list of the very best characters instead of just a thread where we add any old characters forever. Making the number larger is an option though.

Yeah, but then its first come first served, and once we hit that number then any good character not already mentioned means slinging someone out from the list, and who decides that?

Well like in my original top 100 episode thread one would hope we could come to a consensus if characters/episodes need to be axed for not meeting the criteria of being truly great and are instead just merely good.

Easier said than done though.

While we are talking about removing Flexo and Boba Fett, at least everyone has heard of those characters, if you havent seen the particular manga in question, some of the other characters are a case of "who?" but I wouldnt dream of asking for those to be removed just because I have never heard of them, or some of the others from shows I have never watched.

I remember thinking it was shit even when I was a child.

I don't know if hosts count, Dork Lord. Was he in character when he hosted?

He was an integral part of classic TV sci/fi-anthology, and the image of him is as indelible as that of any character on the list.

But IMO he was a host/narrator, not a created character, so technically he wouldn't be on the list. Just my .02...

I just went through the entire list and I would personally dispute 10 of the choices for actually being worthy of being included or not really fitting the scope of the list.

Those don't include characters I don't have enough personal information to make a judgment on either.

I won't say which ones YET though.

Well one basic question is: should anime by included? Only some of us are into it, so the impact of some of the characters may be lost on others. I've held back from including any, but suffice it to say that if I didn't think there might be a dispute, I would have put up Spike Speigel, Shinji Ikari, and a couple others myself.

My personal opinion was that, as one of the founding fathers of science fiction television, Rod Serling derserved to be on the list more than minor charcters like Flexo, Ro, or Barcly, FOR EXAMPLE.

But this is your list, and should be decided by you. I was just trying to contribute.

Yeah, but then you might as well have Alfred Hitchock up there, and then where do we stop?

At the end of the day we all pick characters that we personally enjoy, others might not enjoy those characters as much, but I guess we need to hash out whether this list is going to be a labour of love for us all, or just some survivor thing where only the most popular make the cut.

Well one basic question is: should anime by included? Only some of us are into it, so the impact of some of the characters may be lost on others. I've held back from including any, but suffice it to say that if I didn't think there might be a dispute, I would have put up Spike Speigel, Shinji Ikari, and a couple others myself.

What I was trying to say shorthanded in my karma to you <g> is that I would also have added Faye and Ed from Cowboy Bebop, but they're not quite as known as Spike.

And don't get me started on some of the Basalisk characters that could be in here. Fucked up show that it is, you can't deny them! ;)