Top 100 genre tv characters discussion thread

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
We could see how many more characters we really want to add and then check how many we can remove/replace. Rod Sterling, Boba Fett and MacGyver are three open spaces to start with.

I think my animé pick (Shinji Ikari) deserves to be counted as one of the top 100 ever genre tv characters, but if a decision to move all the animé or cartoon characters on to another list was made, then that'd open up a bunch more spaces as well.

100 seems like a nice round figure, although 150 would probably free up enough space for all the vital picks everyone has.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
It's pitiful that this entire thread & discussion passed me by. I really have been utterly AWOL, even when here.

Can we do a BOTTOM 100 now?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I say we replace one bounty hunter with another (finally took a screenshot).

early.png

Jubal Early - Richard Brooks (Firefly)

whisky

Boobie inspector
So one of the 100 greatest sci fi tv icons is a man who only appeared in one episode?

Who would be unknown to anyone who hadnt watched firefly?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'm not really in favour of splitting it to male and female because

1) there's more male characters than female and to get to 100 female we'll be including SALLY SEXPANTS from the short-lived show 'Sally Sexpants And Her Sexy Pants.'
2) I can't really be bothered splitting it and renumbering it all.

I don't know about splitting animated either since...well, same reason. And animated characters shouldn't be treated like second class citizens.

Can't we just keep it at 100? Or change to 108 to reference Lost as my BRILLIANT idea was.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
So one of the 100 greatest sci fi tv icons is a man who only appeared in one episode?

Who would be unknown to anyone who hadnt watched firefly?

I don't see how it makes any difference what series he was in; any of these characters would be unknown, or at least be unappreciated by someone who had never seen their respective series. Besides, I think a lot of people would agree with my pick.

I'd like to add Jubal Early, but I can't find any good pics. I know he was only in one episode*, but he was a fascinating character, well played and with some great lines.

* Not counting his earlier flyby.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
There are a lot of people on the list I've never heard of!

CaptainWacky

I've never heard of that Kirk guy.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I've never heard of most of the Buffy characters, and none of the anime characters.

The Dork Lord

Whipping Boy
There's tons of Star Trek Characters, but no Uhura, even tho she was one of the first major female black characters? No Sulu either?

Anime characters, but no Astro Boy or Rick Hunter (Robotech/Macross)?

And Rod Serling wasn't a character when he was hosting The Twilight Zone? Really? He was like that in real life?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Why not just keep going until there is a consensus that it has run its course, and all it the "Top 100+" characters for the time being?

I don't think characters who only made one appearance should count, unless they were SO MEMORABLE that they got their own Happy Meal action figure, book spinoff series, coffee mug and feminine hygiene product endorsement.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I just don't see how you can justify getting rid of Flexo who appeared in two episodes, and then include Jubal who appeared in one.

A lot of people might agree with your pick, if you know the right people, a lot of people might agree with mine, they just don't necessarily post in the mine field.

Maybe we should have just stuck to actors who had their names in the main titles, ie main characters, not guest stars, because it seems we have missed out on some true icons because of some flavour of the month choices.

We might also save a few places if we just have one actor listed once, and we have to pick which one of their characters warrants their space more than the other.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I can tell you I haven't a clue who those Red Dwarf people are, but with the karma underneath them, I know that people agreed with the picks, and therefore they should be on the list.

CaptainWacky

Right, I started the thread, it's my list, I say it's finished since we obviously aren't going to agree without people getting their feelings hurt (over a list on TK) or trying to make it needlessly complicated, so fuck it.

But Flexo still sucks.

CaptainWacky

I just don't see how you can justify getting rid of Flexo who appeared in two episodes, and then include Jubal who appeared in one.

A lot of people might agree with your pick, if you know the right people, a lot of people might agree with mine, they just don't necessarily post in the mine field.

Maybe we should have just stuck to actors who had their names in the main titles, ie main characters, not guest stars, because it seems we have missed out on some true icons because of some flavour of the month choices.

We might also save a few places if we just have one actor listed once, and we have to pick which one of their characters warrants their space more than the other.

I think this wins the "most passive agressive post ever" award.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I don't think it's worth getting in an argument about, but suffice to say, I still think I'm right.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Why? Why all the fighting????

RUNS SCREMAING THTOUGH THE OFFICE RIPPING HER CLOTHES OFF SCREAMING WACKY'S AXE OVER AND OVER AGAIN

CaptainWacky

In an hilarious footnote I just noticed there's two number forty twos on the list (thanks BDM) so someone else has to be removed. LOL!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
This top 100 genre tv characters list is TEARING US APART!!