Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Community (season 3 on)

Community needs more than 13 episodes to make the usual minimum number to be sold for syndication, so a deeply shortened season doesn't help them much. A full season is 22 eps, and they need 17 to reach 88 total (the magic number for syndication -- it used to be 100 but fewer shows make it that far anymore).

Pretty good stuff tonight. Lots of individual laughs, but this whole long-running arc is surprisingly plot-heavy for this show.

Anyway, this just in (literally):

'Community' Renewed by NBC for a Fourth Season

Written By Robert Seidman - May 10th, 2012

NBC has renewed Community for 13 episodes. The renewal itself should come as no surprise, but I confess the episode order does surprise me a little bit. Community needed 17 episodes to get to 88 episodes, generally considered to be the minimum acceptable for Mon-Fri stripped syndication, but perhaps like "88 is the new 100," "84 has become the new 88."

Note: unlike the renewal of 30 Rock, this renewal is not being spun as a final season, so it's possible Community can still get to 88 episodes and beyond.
So we get to sweat this all out again around Christmastime! HOORAY FOR ZOIDBERG!

Another take on it:
NBC’s ‘Community’ Renewed For Fourth Season With 13-Episode Order

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday May 10, 2012 @ 4:50pm PDT

Community fans won’t have to stage an uprising. (Well, maybe just a small mutiny over the size of the order.) The cult NBC/Sony Pictures TV comedy series has been renewed for next season with a 13-episode order.

The short pickup is not a surprising. As we reported, NBC had been eying abbreviated orders for most or all of its returning comedies, which freed up money to pick up more freshmen. With the renewal secured, the question Community faces heading into its fourth season is whether it will return with both creator/showrunner Dan Harmon and co-star Chevy Chase on board. There has been a well documented feud between the two, raising speculation whether they could continue to work together or one would step down.

I hear it is unclear as of now if Harmon will continue as showrunner. That is a possibility, with other scenarios also explored. Leaving Community are longtime executive producers Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan who just signed an overall deal with 20th Century Fox TV.

Worth noting! Friday Night Lights, a joint NBC/DirectTV production, was renewed for three 13 episode seasons in a row (and was a better show for it).

My guess is, unless the whole NBC schedule except Community suddenly gets gangbuster ratings next season, they will announce around Thanksgiving that the show will get an additional 5 episodes. Then by early spring, they will either cancel it and sell it to syndication, or extend it to 22 episodes and renew for another season, while still selling it to syndication.

It's okay in a comedy where they're making fun of the concept!

It was a good episode. I think the first clip show was better (or more showy?) but there were lots of funny clips and lines.

And they agreed to never do paintball again!

The thread was reaching 1000 posts, which is the point where threads usually start acting screwy on the board, so I split it in two. This thread starts around last summer before the start of season 3, when Tomtrek discovered these nice photos:

More information required.

:bigass:

I thought it was a bit iffy at the beginning, but it got better as it went on. The bit in the mental asylum was the best part. I look forward to reading an obsessive fan's list of all the references to previous episodes in that scene. I liked that all the other flashbacks were to things we haven't actually seen, so it wasn't just a clip show.

Anyone know what next week's showdown will entail?

It and Whitney will be up against Shark Tank, which is popular, but it's watched mostly by old people. This could actually be good news, since the expectations are even lower on Fridays than on Thursdays. But the core audience has to follow it to Fridays (and not just DVR it and watch on the weekend) for this to work.

Was it not on on a Friday at some point before? I'm sure I remember downloading it on a Saturday for a while (or I could be completely wrong!)