Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Community (season 3 on)

I reckon it'll get at least one more season. Most episodes are filmed entirely on a soundstage and there are only a limited number of actors, so it can't cost that much to film. That must help its chances quite a bit.

I wish more people would discover how awesome it is. ALSO, I wish NBC didn't show it at 8pm, I know lots of people aren't ready to watch TV at that time of night.

I can't imagine Chevy Chase and Joel McHale work that cheap.

But its ratings are getting ridiculous. The Vampire Diaries actually beat it this week in the 18-49 demo. You have to look at community-access channels to find numbers lower than that.

First they will probably switch it with another Thursday show in the hopes that it will benefit from a lead-in; after that they will move it to another night, where it will languish until they run out of new episodes. Then, POOF. :(

I want six seasons and a movie as much as anyone, but being optimistic won't make a difference and will only lead to disappointment. The only hope is a network person really likes the show and pushes hard to keep it on FOREVER.

Joel McHale may have some pull with the network since he's also the host of The Soup (the same people own NBC and E!). THAT'S A PLUS.

Maybe it's noy hopeless. Some nerd who writes aboot this for a living says:
“That’s Crazy!”: In What Universe is ‘Community’ in Better Shape than ‘Harry’s Law?’

For any newcomers, let me nip this sort of comment in the bud early: How can it be so that Harry’s Law and all its total viewers is certain to be canceled while Community with less than half of Harry’s Law’s total viewers is on the bubble? What universe are you living in!?

What universe? How about the universe we live in where total viewers don’t matter because advertisers don’t care to pay for viewers age 50+ during broadcast primetime? If Harry’s Law was on at 10p ET I could at least argue in its favor that it’s giving the local affiliates some cover into their local newscasts, but Harry’s Law airs at 9p eastern.

Moreover, Community has something going for it that Harry’s Law does not. After the current season, Community will be only one season away from the 88 episodes which seems to be the modern day standard necessary for a show to be viable for stripped syndication (Monday-Friday airings). NBC doesn’t own Community, Sony does, but there is a long history of studios cutting the network good deals when shows are only one more season away from the number of episodes necessary for syndication.

By the way, though I'm not getting any sense that NBC is giving up on Prime Suspect yet, should NBC do some switcheroo, say where Harry's Law moved to 10pm Thursday, at that point Harry's Law would at least have the "its feeding its total viewers into the local affiliates' newscasts" going for it. I consider such a move unlikely, but...

Maybe it's not hopeless. Some nerd who writes aboot this for a living says:
“That’s Crazy!”: In What Universe is ‘Community’ in Better Shape than ‘Harry’s Law?’

For any newcomers, let me nip this sort of comment in the bud early: How can it be so that Harry’s Law and all its total viewers is certain to be canceled while Community with less than half of Harry’s Law’s total viewers is on the bubble? What universe are you living in!?

What universe? How about the universe we live in where total viewers don’t matter because advertisers don’t care to pay for viewers age 50+ during broadcast primetime? If Harry’s Law was on at 10p ET I could at least argue in its favor that it’s giving the local affiliates some cover into their local newscasts, but Harry’s Law airs at 9p eastern.

Moreover, Community has something going for it that Harry’s Law does not. After the current season, Community will be only one season away from the 88 episodes which seems to be the modern day standard necessary for a show to be viable for stripped syndication (Monday-Friday airings). NBC doesn’t own Community, Sony does, but there is a long history of studios cutting the network good deals when shows are only one more season away from the number of episodes necessary for syndication.

By the way, though I'm not getting any sense that NBC is giving up on Prime Suspect yet, should NBC do some switcheroo, say where Harry's Law moved to 10pm Thursday, at that point Harry's Law would at least have the "its feeding its total viewers into the local affiliates' newscasts" going for it. I consider such a move unlikely, but...

Maybe it's noy hopeless. Some nerd who writes aboot this for a living says:

hopeful news. I wonder if criteria like the dedication of a show's viewership factor into it when the analysis turns to syndication considerations. I mean, Community has low ratings, but people will not miss an episode. I'd be willing to bet that it has a relatively high proportion of DVR/on-demand viewership b/c of its die hard fans.

Yeah, Community is very popular on the internet. I HOPE THAT COUNTS FOR SOMETHING. :rwmad:

I still don't understand why they take into account TV numbers. I'm one of those that watch it the next day (or when posted) on the web. I do that with a lot of shows here lately since I don't have DVR and if I'm at his house watching something else, I miss it.

They should take the number of animated gifs posted on the internet per episode into account. Community would get NINE HUNDRED SEASONS if they did.

'Community' pays tribute to 'Animal House' for EW's Comedy Issue -- EXCLUSIVE PHOTO | Inside TV | EW.com

2816.imgcache.jpg

We here at EW were looking for a way to salute some classic school-set comedies from the late 70s and 80s for our Comedy Issue, which hits stands today. We could have done it with conventional weapons, but that would have taken years and cost millions of lives. We had to all go out, as this situation absolutely required a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part. The good news? We knew just the guys to do it: The students at Greendale Community College! The nine stars of the clever and refer-ential NBC comedy Community recreated some famous imagery from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Porky’s, and The Breakfast Club (which you can see in the magazine), as well as Animal House – which you can check out below in this online exclusive:

The cast had a fun time recreating the toga-party spirit from 1978′s legendary college comedy, dancing and writhing around to the classic a-little-bit-softer-now anthem “Shout” during the shoot.

“Whenever I think of that movie, I just think of partying in college, having fun, and being out of your mind,” praises Ken Jeong (Chang). “That movie is so iconic and I idolize those characters in the movie — I wouldn’t dare try to duplicate it. You just have to have fun and be silly. That was going on in my head when I was shooting it. I was technically supposed to be Belushi’s character, Bluto, and there’s no way in hell I could be that. No way in hell anyone can be John Belushi.” Adds Joel McHale (Jeff): ”When you put on a toga, you’re like, ‘Oh, right! This is why the Romans had such a damn good time. They just wore sheets and no underwear and drank a lot.’” McHale’s highlight of the Animal House session? Witnessing Donald Glover’s impression of singer Otis Day. (“It sent chills up my spine,” he notes.) “It was the easiest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” marvels Glover (Troy), who drops an album, Camp, for real as hip-hop alter ego Childish Gambino on Nov. 15. “I swear to god, I don’t know why, but being in the suit and having the hair and moustache, I just knew what I was born to do. It was like Flight of the Navigator – the map was in my brain already. It was weird.” (Additional reporting by Shaunna Murphy)

I wonder if Britta's face getting nicer ever week is actually a secret subplot that will pay off at the end of the season?

I liked all the outrageous racist comments.

I didn't like the Troy as plumber thing the first time they did it in season one, but here it was completely wacky (black Hitler) and fun.

GOOD EPISODE?