◘ IT HAS BEGUN - World Cup 2010 South Africa Official Thread ◘

As intended I will know provide an honest and detailed overview of the England performance:

Fucking Shit.

There, I'm done.

Some positives.

not many.

rooney was non entity, defoe playing of heskey knock downs would've been better...

picked up a few yellows that may haunt england yet..

yanks still an average team, england will struggle against better opposition

They almost won the Confederates Cup and went 2 nil up against Brazil in the final only to be beaten. They're no walkover.

Oh, I never thought they were, because I looked over their record as well. But I'm sure a lot of people just thought "Americans? They'll be crap!" without giving it a second though. And not only would that be doing the US team a massive disservice, but had it been true, it would've made any England victory hollow. I'm glad they gave England a run for their money... just a pity that Green's gonna get mauled for his slip up.

I still don't get any sport where the game can end in a tie. It's just strange.

But, I guess it's a good outcome for the US since you guys post like you're in mourning. :D

Well, it's just frustrating really. Literally a slip of the fingers cost us a reasonably comfortable win. It wouldn't be so bad if the ball had blasted into the back of the net in a decisive goal, but it was a mistake that doesn't sit well with us...

Still, it was nice of you guys to send on that twink in the last ten minutes.

That is really, really stupid. Martin Tyler just called it exactly as it was. It was a lucky speculative shot and it was one of the most astonishing goal keeper errors I've seen in a while and I support Arsenal so I've seen a lot (we have shit keepers).

He simply called that particular event as it happened and it feeds in to a trend for Englands goalkeepers to make stupid mistakes. In no way was he even insinuating that the USA as a team or Dempsey as an individual were "incapable" of scoring against us. What a ludicrous claim. That site is being "butthurt" as they put it themselves and making a false claim, at nothing.

They can cry "butthurt" if they like, but it's just like any stupid mistake that someone makes. You can't help over analysing it and thinking "if only" this or that. It's not to say that the American player can't score goals, it's just that on this occasion it was because the English goalkeeper made a silly mistake, rather than the American one pulling off a masterpiece of a shot. I'm sure he's quite capable of doing that, and we'd all be much more comfortable with the final score if he had, but he didn't in this case. And yeah, that is annoying for us.

I still don't get any sport where the game can end in a tie. It's just strange.

But, I guess it's a good outcome for the US since you guys post like you're in mourning. :D

Imagine how you would feel if you got smoked in a footrace by a special olympian. That's how England failing to beat the USA feels to the rest of the world.

Don't worry, rest of the world. Even if we continue to upset the odds, our country is still too arrogant to care about soccer. There's no explosions in that game.

I think you lot have a decent team this time around (I said the same thing before this match btw) and unless something drastic happens it should be USA and England going through in this group. You lot could do quite well.

Imagine how you would feel if you got smoked in a footrace by a special olympian. That's how England failing to beat the USA feels to the rest of the world.

Don't worry, rest of the world. Even if we continue to upset the odds, our country is still too arrogant to care about soccer. There's no explosions in that game.

Not at all. The US team are very fit, very strong, and very able. The only people who underplay them are the media. Most of them play (or have played) over here, so we knew exactly what to expect - and we got it. A hard, tough match.

I had to caption a little special about Clint Dempsey. Whenever he scores a goal and looks up and kisses the sky, it's for his sister who died when she was 17 of a brain aneurysm. He's a Texas boy, too, so I'm happy for him.

Donovan said:
um, not the world that follows footy. I am sad if that is what your country thinks your national soccer team qualifying for the World Cup means. I wish our flag was flying in South Africa this year.

Meantime, I have made a huge latté and am looking forward to watching Algeria and Slovena play in this morning's match.

Serves you right (collectively) for nitpicking on Argentina. :bigass:

Hardly nit picking, just using the qualification games, the squad rotation, the 50+ players used in qualifying, and ditching two of the best players for their country, after they had awesome seasons in europe..

yup thats us nitpicking with, as you would say the contender!

Algeria vs slovenia

ok i fancy slovenia, due to the fact I favour european team on a technical point.

I really dont now to much about algeria except the egypt games, I expect a more open game, a win for either is a huge result to open up the group..

slovenia to win

Hardly nit picking, just using the qualification games, the squad rotation, the 50+ players used in qualifying, and ditching two of the best players for their country, after they had awesome seasons in europe..

yup thats us nitpicking with, as you would say the contender!

Truth be told, I don't disagree with you regarding Argentina, Maradona's absurd selection, his failure as a coach, and how Argentina sucked balls in the qualification phase.

Nevertheless, I do believe the team has a great potential, and the current selection, even if it could have been better, can easily win the World Cup.

If nothing goes particularly wrong, I would nominate Argentina, Spain, or Brazil to reap this year's world cup.

Back